Building great teams that bring results inside work environments is a real challenge.
Some people consider team building to be an art, and others believe that Team Building is a science and it must be studied as such.
Finding the right team building exercises will put your team one step ahead of others, but how do we do that?
A great way to start is by implementing interesting team building quiz questions, and in this blog post, we’ll teach you how to do it.
Why Choose Team Building Quiz Questions?
Team Building Quiz Questions are fun and engaging, and it helps other team members to connect with each other in a fairly natural and quick way.
We all know that work events, such as All Hands Meetings, can be a little overwhelming for more than one team member.
Although determining what exact factors affect team building can be a challenge at first, it has been proven that implementing team building quiz questions is great for the following reasons (among others):
- Trivia or quiz questions are easy to implement: you don’t need several minutes of preparation to get started with a quiz or trivia game.
- Trivia and quiz games are inclusive and collaborative: everyone can play a trivia quiz, and doing so is a great way to learn more about others' knowledge about certain topics.
- Quiz and trivia are adaptable: you can make your own quiz customized for a specific team.
- Trivia quizzes are rewarding: getting the answers right feels good and motivates workers before big events, such as work meetings.
- Trivia quizzes are truly useful: besides being really entertaining, it has been proven that trivia quizzes help to improve team problem-solving skills, which are crucial for the effectiveness of teams inside their work environment.
How to Choose Team Building Trivia Questions Efficiently
Although you can probably find many pre-built trivia questions and answers online, it is important to adapt and customize your trivia team building activity according to your needs.
If you don’t know your own team’s weak and strong knowledge points, then there’s a chance for the quiz activity to become boring or to miss its main goal. Thus, consider the following factors before choosing team building trivia questions.
1. Correct Answer vs. General Answer Quiz Questions
There are two types of team quiz questions that you can apply inside the workplace:
- Correct answer questions, where teams are presented with multiple choices, and they need to pick the right one.
- General answer questions are team building questions that encourage new, old, and other teammates to tell more about themselves.
Both types of quiz questions work great, but depending on your team’s knowledge and needs, you will need to adapt the questions, so they provide the required benefits.
2. Integrating Quiz Questions As Team Building Activities
Quiz questions should be quick team building events with a time limit and “special event” feelings.
Finding the right time and moment to implement quiz questions is vital - otherwise, your team might end up feeling overwhelmed or unable to properly answer the questions.
Quiz and trivia questions are great 5-minute team building activities that you can implement before meetings, before the day ends, or at a moment when your team needs to relax.
3. Team Building Quiz Questions for Remote Teams
On top of that, implementing team building quiz questions before working remotely helps new virtual team members to break the ice, which helps with team engagement over time.
It is also possible to play trivia on online platforms, such as Slack, Zoom, or MyQuiz.
12 Types of Awesome Team Building Quiz Questions (45+ Examples)
Below, you will find a comprehensive list of sample questions that you can implement as part of your team building efforts through trivia and quiz questions.
Keep in mind that the key is to pick these sample questions and adapt them to what your whole team needs, so without further ado, let’s get to it.
1. Quiz Questions for Team Members
If you are looking to learn more about your team, or if there are too many employees and there’s usually no chance to get to meet them all, you can start a trivia quiz based on their personal lives.
There are no right answers here: the point is to learn more about each team member in a quick, natural, and efficient way.
- What’s your favorite ice cream flavor?
- What’s your preferred type of hat?
- What’s your son or daughter's favorite thing to do?
- What did you do during the weekend?
2. Sports-Related Trivia Questions
Do you think that your team members have good-enough sports knowledge? Let’s test them out!
It’s a great idea to start a questions and answers activity about sports as long as you know that all team members will feel included. Here are a few examples of quiz questions that need a right answer.
- Who won the FIFA World Cup in 2022?
- How many championships does Kobe Bryant have?
- Who won the last Super Bowl?
- Where will the next Olympic Games be?
3. Workplace-Related Trivia Questions
Team building activities can be directly beneficial for the companies as well. Workplace-related quiz questions can help you understand more about your team’s behavior inside the workplace.
Just try not to push it - the point is to ask relaxed questions and not overwhelming ones.
- How long have you worked here?
- Who is your best friend at work?
- What tool do you use the most during working hours?
- What advice would you give to new coworkers at this company?
4. Movie-Related Trivia Questions
Many teams love movie-related questions, and they often feel thrilled to answer them.
If you are sure that your team members love movies, team them up in pairs, and the team with the most points wins!
We recommend you vary the movie-related questions with a mix of “correct answer questions” and “general answer questions.”
- In what year was The Titanic released?
- What movie won the Oscar in 2014?
- What’s your favorite actor or actress performance?
- What movie could you watch over and over and why?
5. Series/Television-Related Team Trivia Questions
Many people enjoy their free time watching popular series and shows on television.
If there’s a trendy show that you are aware of, then start a friendly competition by gathering your team members and asking them to take part in a quick quiz. Then again, you should vary personal questions with multiple-choice questions if possible.
- What’s your favorite TV show?
- What’s your preferred streaming platform to watch series (HBO Max, Netflix, Disney +, etc.) and why?
- What’s the name of the protagonist of Breaking Bad?
- When was Game of Thrones released?
6. Music-Related Fun Quiz Questions
Life without music would be a mistake - music is a universal topic that teams of all sizes will be glad to get into.
Whether there’s a specific theme song catching up in the office, or you believe they love a specific genre, testing the musical knowledge of each team member will certainly be really fun. Who knows? Perhaps one of them ever dreamed about becoming a lead singer!
- What’s Michael Jackson’s most popular song?
- Who was the most listened artist in 2022?
- What was the most popular genre of music in the 70s?
- What’s your favorite band or artist?
7. History-Related Quiz Questions
If you think that some of your teammates are history-savvy, then testing out their history knowledge will be a really fun challenge for them.
Try not to go as deep with the questions (probably nobody knows “when was the first t-rex skeleton found”), so start with superficial questions and then, little by little, start scaling them.
- What’s the name of the first human civilization?
- In which year was the Berlin Wall torn down?
- When did World War II end?
- In which year was Martin Luther King Jr. assassinated?
8. Politics-Related Quiz Questions
Politics are part of our day-to-day lives, and even if we want to fully ignore it, we always end up coming back to the same place.
Thus, asking politics-related quiz questions can be fun as long as you do it right. Keep in mind that these might be really controversial topics, so tread lightly.
- Who is the current British Prime Minister?
- Who was the president of the United States in 1990?
- What’s the name of the king of Spain?
- Why is Russia’s president called?
9. Food and Drink Quiz Questions
We are all food and drink lovers, and participating in food-related trivia will sound really fun to your team members.
Since food preferences are highly subjective, there are some questions that will not have the right answers and others that will.
- What is the biggest company in the food industry?
- When was Coca-Cola created?
- What’s the largest fast-food restaurant chain in the world?
- What’s their favorite cake flavor, and why?
10. Video Games Trivia Questions
Video games are part of our culture: they are fun and entertaining hobbies that probably most of your team members enjoy.
It has been proven that video games can build a strong remote workforce, so video game-related quizzes can be really beneficial to both in-office and remote teams.
- What’s the most popular fictional character in video game history?
- What's the newest Nintendo console called?
- What’s the best-selling game of all time?
- What’s your favorite online game?
11. General Knowledge Trivia Questions
We all have something called “general knowledge” printed into our minds, and your team members won’t be the exception.
Asking general knowledge questions is amusing and enjoyable, but pick them wisely.
Some might be related to world history, and some others might be tricky questions.
- What’s the national animal of the United States?
- What’s the smallest country in the world?
- What’s heavier: a kilogram of steel or a kilogram of feathers?
- Where was Albert Einstein born?
12. Hypothetical Scenario Quiz Questions
Lastly, crafting an office-tailored hypothetical scenario quiz is an amazing way to learn more about your team members in a natural and thrilling way.
Usually, hypothetical scenario quizzes present the participants with three options, and they must choose only one of them. This will help you know more about their reasoning and decision-making processes.
- What would you do if a zombie apocalypse started?
- If you had to start over, what would your first job be and why?
- In what industry would you start your own business?
- What would you do if you won the lottery?
Team Building Quiz Questions FAQ
Are Team Building Quiz Questions Effective?
Yes, team building quiz questions help to improve work environments and relationships between team members in a natural and fun way. Playing trivia games can provide a rewarding adrenaline rush, whereas the integration of quizzes within learning environments has powered student engagement over time.